Welcome to RocAFC’s Intro to borosilicate glass course. If you are looking for a more in-depth beginner level class that will immerse you in the art of lampworking (or flameworking), you’re in the right place.
Over the next eight classes, you can expect to learn all of the basic skills that you will need to continue your journey here at RocAFC. This class is designed to get your skills to a level that will allow you to work independently, be it in your own studio or here at RocAFC during open torch time. This class is also a stepping stone that will allow you to take our advanced class.
RocAFC’s Borosilicate level I class is designed to give you a solid foundation of skills, which you can then build upon. We will start with the basic skills such as, learning how to cut glass; fuse glass together; draw down glass to a desired diameter; build up glass to a desired diameter; building a gather and maintaining that gather on the end of a rod; as well as how to use a cold seal or punty effectively.
Once we have a firm understanding of the basic skills. We will then use these skills to create a variety of items that you will take home with you each night. We will start with basic forms such as the teardrop and heart. Then work our way up to creating small forms such as fish and humming birds.
- Topics that will be covered in this class are as follows.
- Safety issues such as ventilation, eye ware, work station setup & ergonomics.
- What the tools are & how to use the tools effectively.
- We will talk about the kilns uses, as well as how to program it.
- Torch operations, as well as flame settings and their uses.
- Learning how to harness gravity and use it to your advantage.
- Planning and preparation.
What are you waiting for? Come down to Roc AFC and Release Your Inner Fire!
- Eight, 3 hour class periods: 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Experience required: None
- All materials and safety equipment included
- Complimentary coffee and vending machines available