Cuff Bracelet with Mark Thone: Bend and shape metal into a wearable cuff bracelet. Use hammers and stamps to texture the copper. This is a good hands-on exercise in basic metal forming. (Open to all levels)
Earrings with Mark Thone: Cut, stamp, and shape pieces of metal to make a set of earrings. Bend your own silver ear hooks to wear them. We will go over basic metalsmithing techniques that can be done anywhere with a few tools. (Open to all levels)
Pierced Pendant with Mark Thone: This is a good intro in how to pierce and cut metal, using the exercise to make a wearable pendant. We use fine blades with a hand saw to cut out shapes, and rivets to make a movable bail to hang it from. (Open to all levels)
- Additional classes with Jake Martin: These items include but are not limited to: tie-tac pins, lapel pins, earrings, money clips, bracelets, or bookends. Each class will involve one or two of the items mentioned and techniques such as soldering, stamping, and engraving will be employed to create unique but cohesive items for individuals OR wedding parties/bride/groom! Techniques addressed will include: sawing, filing, stamping, grinding, sanding, polishing. To setup a private class, email our Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org!
(NOTE: Above are examples of various topics offered, however each class focuses on only one. The topic of each class is listed with the corresponding date.)
Samplers are designed to tease you with a quick introduction to jewelry making. These classes are held at various times throughout the week and are three to four hours long. No prior experience or training is needed to attend. While the curriculum is designed for the novice, anyone interested in refining their jewelry making techniques could benefit from these classes. Samplers do not need to be taken in a specific order.
NOTE: Metalsmithed Jewelry Classes are interactive and involve physical activity with emphasis on hand eye coordination. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. If you any have concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all of our students!
- 3.5 hour class period
- Enrollment: 2 to 8 students
- All materials and equipment use included in course cost
- Sterling Silver materials subject to additional fee during class (optional)
- Experience required: None
- Complimentary coffee and vending machines available
Available Sampler Sessions: (Each class will focus on the topic listed)
- Thursday, January 17th: Cuff Bracelet (6:30pm-10pm)
- Thursday, February 7th: Earrings (6:30pm-10pm)
- Thursday, March 7th: Pierced Pendant (6:30pm-10pm)
- Thursday, April 18th: Cuff Bracelet (6:30pm-10pm)
Mark Thone: Owner of Heart on Sleeve, Mark brings a unique background of artistic endeavors to all of his classes here at Arc + Flame. Mark is a graduate of Rochester Institute of Technology and has over a decade's worth of experience in metalsmithing. Mark joined the Arc + Flame team in the Fall of 2017.
Jake Martin: Originally from Allentown, Pennsylvania, Jake moved to New York to attend Rochester Institute of Technology. He is currently in graduate school and is an MFA candidate focusing in metal-smithing and jewelry design. Jake has been working in the jewelry industry for almost 10 years and has experience at all levels of the trade and is now turning his focus towards education. Jake's work and portfolio can be found at jakemartinjewelry.com
Student Health / Dress Code / Refund Policy:
NOTE: Our programs are designed to be as inclusive as possible. However, if you have any concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all our students. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. Please read our class refund policy. If you have any questions, contact our administrative team at 585-349-7110 or email: email@example.com.