Bladesmithing 4-Night Workshop
NOTE: Students under the age of 16 MUST contact Arc + Flame Blacksmithing Director (Candace Martens) for an evaluation prior to enrolling in a smithing class. Candace can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-617-9644. Interested Students MUST COMPLETE this underage student APPLICATION prior to meeting with Blacksmithing Director.
If you have a question about the facility or registering for a class, please call Arc + Flame directly at 585-349-7110.
Arc + Flame Bladesmithing Workshops are a keen way to learn and explore creating knives. Our experienced instructors will use a combination of lecture, demonstration and hands-on instruction at the forge to enhance your learning experience.
NOTE: For most bladesmithing classes, students need to have prior forging experience, such as our Skill Builder Workshop: Tapers, to get the most benefit. Please check the individual project description for specific requirements. Contact us at email@example.com if you have questions or if you are concerned about your prerequisite experience!
- February 2022 Session: Brute de Forge Paring Knife: Feb. 8th, 10th, 15th, 17th (Tues. & Thurs., 6:30pm-10pm)
- April 2022 Session: Brute de Forge Paring Knife: April 4th, 6th, 11th, 13th (Mon. & Wed., 6:30pm-10pm)
- 2 - 8-hour class periods: 9:00am-5:00pm
- Enrollment: 3 to 8 students
- Prerequisite: See individual project description
- All materials and safety equipment included
- Breakfast snacks and lunch included
- Vending machines available
- Brut de Forge Paring Knife: Create a wonderful conversation piece and functional everyday use kitchen utility knife. In this class the students will learn to forge the knife shape in mild steel and then repeat the process in high carbon steel to create a single piece blade and handle. They will then grind and heat treat their knife. Students will also be shown how to sharpen and polish the heat-treated blade using water stones which students get to keep. Students will produce a 5-6" long knife (includes the handle length).
A Brut de Forge knife is one that is forged very close to final shape, allowing the as forged surface finish to show on large portions of the knife. In this case, the entire knife, including the handle is forged close to finish requiring very little grinding.
*Prerequisite Experience: Prior Forging Experience is recommended but not required. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
**This class includes basic sharpening kit (Combination Water Stone, Mat, Angle Guides, Leather Strop with Compound, & Carrying Case) an $85 value.
- Friction Folding Knife (Higo Style): Learn to create a wonderful conversation piece and functional tool. In this class we will cover the basics of designing and building a simple friction folding knife in the Higo Style.
Students will start by learning about appropriate steels and how to process them to bring out the desired qualities such as durability, edge retention and sharpenability. After discussion of material size constraints students will work a small piece of copper to create a decorative handle. Then they will design a blade to fit inside their handle. Finally, students will create a pattern from their design and forge a blade just slightly larger than the pattern to allow for grinding.
After rough grinding and an overview of the basics of hardening and tempering students will heat treat their blades. To finish the weekend the knife will be assembled.
For those who have their own Damascus or have taken one of our Damascus Billet workshops, you can bring that in to use. Note: Material should be between 1/8" and 3/16" thick and at least 3/4" to 1" wide.
*Prerequisite Experience: Skill Builder Workshop: Tapers or equivalent. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com
(Above are examples of various topics offered, however each class focuses on only one. Each available class date will specify the corresponding project.)
NOTE: Bladesmithing Classes are very interactive and involve significant physical activity. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. If you any have concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all of our students!
PLEASE READ: Student Health / Refund Policy / Age / Dress Code
NOTE: Our programs are designed to be as inclusive as possible. However, if you have any concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all our students.
Students must be AT LEAST 16-years of age to attend class unless otherwise noted (ie: Fusing Tike, Teen and Creative Kids Classes) OR approval from Department Director.
Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes, shorts, skirts, or highly flammable clothing.