Bladesmithing 4-Day Workshop
NOTE: Students under the age of 16 MUST contact Arc + Flame Blacksmithing Director (Candace Martens) for an evaluation prior to enrolling in a smithing class. Candace can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-617-9644. Interested Students MUST COMPLETE this underage student APPLICATION prior to meeting with Blacksmithing Director.
If you have a question about the facility or registering for a class, please call Arc + Flame directly at 585-349-7110.
Arc + Flame Bladesmithing Workshops are a keen way to learn and explore creating knives. Our experienced instructors will use a combination of lecture, demonstration and hands-on instruction at the forge to enhance your learning experience.
These classes are designed as skill building endeavors that focus on the fundamental techniques used in working high carbon steel. Students will work on building the skills needed to be able to forge a knife blank, grind, heat treat and sharpen it.
NOTE: This class is focused on the blade and assumes the student is already comfortable with high aspect-ratio tapering, or has taken our Skill Builder Workshop: Tapers. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have questions or if you are concerned about your prerequisite experience!
Currently unavailable, next session coming soon
- (4) 5-hour class periods: 12:00N-5:00pm
- Enrollment: 3 to 8 students
- All materials and safety equipment included
- Prerequisite: Skill Builder Workshop: Tapers. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vending machines available
- This is a physically and mentally demanding course class with full days in the shop, please come ready to get dirty and work hard!
NOTE: Are you traveling from out of town? Click here for lodging + food information!
- Intro to Bladesmithing: Create a wonderful conversation piece and functional drop point hunting knife. In this introductory class the students will learn to forge high carbon steel. Students will learn about some appropriate steels for blades and how to process them to bring out the desired qualities such as durability, edge retention, and sharpen-ability. They will then grind and heat treat their blade blank. Students will also be shown how to sharpen and polish the heat-treated blade. Finally, time permitting, the blades will be finished with a handle.
For those who have their own Damascus or took the Damascus Billet workshop you can bring that to use. Materials should be between 3/16" to 5/16" thick and 1" to 1-1/2" wide.
(Above are examples of various topics offered, however each class focuses on only one. Each available class date will specify the corresponding project.)
NOTE: Bladesmithing Classes are very interactive and involve significant physical activity. Please make sure to wear boots, sneakers, or other shoes that cover your entire foot, jeans or other pants that cover your entire leg, and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes, yoga/sweatpants, leggings or highly flammable clothing. If you any have concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all of our students!
PLEASE READ: Student Health / Refund Policy / Age / Dress Code
NOTE: Our programs are designed to be as inclusive as possible. However, if you have any concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all our students.
Please read our class refund policy. If you have any questions, contact our administrative team at 585-349-7110 or email: email@example.com.
Students must be AT LEAST 16-years of age to attend class unless otherwise noted (ie: Fusing Tike, Teen and Creative Kids Classes) OR approval from Department Director.
Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes, shorts, skirts, or highly flammable clothing.