Blacksmithing Technical Workshop Series
NOTE: Students under the age of 16 MUST contact Arc + Flame Blacksmithing Director (Candace Martens) for an evaluation prior to enrolling in a smithing class. Candace can be reached at email@example.com or 585-617-9644.
If you have a question about the facility or registering for a class, please call Arc + Flame directly at 585-349-7110.
Arc + Flame is now offering an extended series of Technical Workshops. This is an 11 class series that will focus on the fundamental skills needed for ornamental ironwork. Classes will be held 9am-5pm on the first Saturday of the month, with a workshop day the first Sunday.
Our experienced instructors will use a combination of lecture, demonstration and hands-on time to enhance your experience. This series is designed as a skill building endeavor to prepare students to be able to take their projects to the next level.
2020 Technical Series Schedule:
- January 4th & 5th: How to Manage a Fire, Coal & Gas, and Hammer Control: This first session will focus on fire management and basic hammer control. Students will learn how to use the hammer to get material to move how they wish.
- February 1st & 2nd: Chisels, Tools and Basic Heat Treatment: This session will focus on how to make some of the basic tools in every smithy's tool box and how to heat treat them appropriately for their intended uses.
- March 7th & 8th: Tongs: This session will show students how to make some of the most basic but important tools a smith can own, tongs. We will explore different jaw configurations and material usage for each.
- April 4th & 5th: Forge Welding: This session will cover the basics of forge welding and some of the most common configurations that are used.
- May 2nd & 3rd: Square Corners: This session will explore square corners, the various methods of achieving them and the pros and cons of each.
- June 13th & 14th: Rivets, Tenons & Mortices: This session will cover the fundamentals of mortice and tenon joinery. We will also cover rivets and bolts.
- August 1st & 2nd: Scrolls and their Finials: This session will focus on how to create scrolls and some of the more common finials that are used to add interest and finesse to them.
- September 12th & 13th: Collars: This session will focus on joining multiple items with collars. We'll explore how to calculate the amount of collar material they'll need, how to form and decorate them and finally how to hot fit them.
- October 3rd & 4th: Sheet Work, Intro to Cold Chisels: This session will introduce students to cold working sheet metal with chisels to cut close to intricate design outlines to minimize filing and cleanup work. Focus will be on hinges.
- November 7th & 8th: Making and Using Stake Tools: This class will introduce students to small stake tools with complementary hammers and how to use them for creating 3 dimensional forms.
- December 5th & 6th: Leaves: This session will focus on various leaf forms and how they are created with just a hammer and anvil, well maybe some decorative tooling as well.
NOTE: Blacksmithing Classes are very interactive and involve significant physical activity. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. If you any have concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all of our students!
- 8-hour class period: 9:00am-5:00pm on the first Saturday of every month*
- 8-hour workshop period: 9:00am-5:00pm on the first Sunday of every month*
- Enrollment: 3 to 10 students
- Experience: Open to all levels
- All materials and safety equipment included
- Breakfast snacks included
- Students must provide their own lunch. There will be a 30-minute lunch break during each class, and a refrigerator and microwave will be available for student use.
- Complimentary coffee available and vending machines
*Except months where holidays necessitate moving the class to the second weekend. There will also be no class during the month of July.
PLEASE READ: Student Health / Refund Policy / Age / Dress Code
NOTE: Our programs are designed to be as inclusive as possible. However, if you have any concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all our students.
Students must be AT LEAST 16-years of age to attend class unless otherwise noted (ie: Fusing Tike, Teen and Creative Kids Classes) OR approval from Department Director.
Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes, shorts, skirts, or highly flammable clothing.