NOTE: Students under the age of 16 MUST contact Arc + Flame Blacksmithing Director (Candace Martens) for an evaluation prior to enrolling in a smithing class. Candace can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-617-9644.
If you have a question about the facility or registering for a class, please call Arc + Flame directly at 585-349-7110.
5-Day Intensive: Fundamentals of Blacksmithing: In this 5-day workshop, students will learn and practice fundamentals of coal and gas fire management, tapering, tool making, scrolling, punching and riveting.
This course will cover the fundamentals. Topics will include proper orientation of coal and gas forges; learning about different hammer blows and how to use them efficiently; tapering and material isolation; scrolling and bending; and many other topics. This class is not a project based class, so while you may leave with your samples you may not end up with a completed project. The focus of this class is on building forging skills. Students may work on personal projects utilizing the covered skills at the end of the class. (Open to all skill levels)
Candace started blacksmithing in 2006 and has explored many aspects of working metal. Through her explorations she has developed a strong belief that regardless of what you smith a strong foundation in the basic techniques is critical to success.
NOTE: Blacksmithing Classes are very interactive and involve significant physical activity. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. If you any have concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all of our students!
If you have any questions, please contact our Smithing Director, Candace Martens, at email@example.com.
Workshop Schedule (*Each bullet represents one session)
- Fundamentals of Blacksmithing: January 2020 Session: Jan. 6th-10th, 2020 (Mon.-Fri., 9am-5pm each day): $745
- Fundamentals of Blacksmithing: May 2020 Session: May 11th-15th, 2020 (Mon.-Fri., 9am-5pm each day): $745
- Fundamentals of Blacksmithing: August 2020 Session: Aug. 7th-11th, 2020 (Fri.-Tues., 9am-5pm each day): $745
- Enrollment: 3 to 10 students
- All materials and safety equipment included
- Breakfast snacks included
- Lunch for all 5 days is available for an additional $65 (must be purchased at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the class). For those who wish to provide their own lunch a refrigerator and microwave will be available in the shop.
- Complimentary coffee available and vending machines
- This is a physically and mentally demanding course with full days in the shop, please come ready to get dirty and work hard!
NOTE: If you would like to participate in our lunch program, please purchase the separate "Blacksmithing Lunch Plan" that corresponds to your class (click here). If you have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Are you traveling from out of town? Click here for lodging + food information!
"Worth every dime! I feel like I've learned so much in a short period of time"
-- Esron Scott
Student Health / Dress Code / Refund Policy:
NOTE: Our programs are designed to be as inclusive as possible. However, if you have any concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all our students. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. Please read our class refund policy. If you have any questions, contact our administrative team at 585-349-7110 or email: email@example.com.