Classes: Smithing: Explanation
Smithing: A metalsmith is a craftsperson that creates useful items out of various metals. Smithing is one of the oldest metalworking occupations. Shaping metal with a hammer (forging) is the most prominent component of smithing. Often the hammering is done while the metal is hot, having been heated in a forge.
- Blacksmithing: Create objects from wrought iron or steel by forging the metal, using tools to hammer, bend, and cut. Arc + Flame uses both gas and coal forges for blacksmithing. Keep in mind, blacksmithing classes are physically demanding and also hot in temperature! Blacksmithing classes at Arc + Flame come in the form of a 3-Hour Sampler, Workshops, Night Courses and a Date Night.
- Coppersmithing: Create objects from copper by forging the metal, using tools to hammer, bend and cut. Copper is generally considered to be a soft metal, meaning it can be worked without heating. Coppersmithing classes at Arc + Flame come in the form of Samplers, Workshops, Night Courses and a Date Night.
- Bladesmithing: Create knives/swords from wrought iron or steel by forging the metal, using tools to hammer, bend, and cut. Bladesmithing classes at Arc + Flame come in the form of a Multi-Session Workshop and Night Course.
- Metalsmithed Jewelry: Shaping and hammering metal to create jewelry. Projects can include bracelets, earrings and rings. Metalsmithed Jewelry classes can be viewed by clicking here.
- Enameling: Create jewelry made by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing. The powder melts, flows and then hardens to a smooth, durable coating on metal. Enameling classes can be viewed by clicking here.
- Chainmail: Create jewelry by linking small metal rings together in a pattern. Chainmail classes can be viewed by clicking here.
Arc + Flame offers a variety of class formats to suit your availability, learning style and budget. There are variations for each class's course type, but the general outline is as follows:
- Sampler ($75-$100): 2-3 Hour introduction to a particular class, times vary based on class
- Workshop ($150): 8 Hour class session on a Saturday or Sunday typically from 8:00am-4:00pm
- Multi-Day Workshop ($150-$500): A series of weekend classes for comprehensive learning
- Night Course ($150-$500): Weekly classes for comprehensive learning, typically 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Date Night ($150): Couple's session typically 7:00pm-11:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays
- Professional Training: Qualification and career programs for tradespeople
- Studio Rental: Open class time for independent practice