NOTE: Students under the age of 16 MUST contact Arc + Flame Blacksmithing Director (Candace Martens) for an evaluation prior to enrolling in a smithing class. Candace can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-617-9644. Interested Students MUST COMPLETE this underage student APPLICATION prior to meeting with Blacksmithing Director.
If you have a question about the facility or registering for a class, please call Arc + Flame directly at 585-349-7110.
Arc + Flame Metal & Coppersmithing Samplers are an excellent way to learn about various metals and explore the fundamental techniques involved with forming them. Our experienced instructors will use a combination of lecture, demonstration and hands-on instruction to enhance your learning experience. These classes will cover the fundamentals of chasing designs in metals using hand tools. We will cover treatment of copper, the basic tools and the finishing of the materials.
Chasing is a series of techniques for the decoration of metalwork by forming the outside of a surface. The metal is worked from the front by hammering with tools that raise, depress, or push aside the metal without removing any from the surface. Chasing is the opposite of embossing or repoussé in which the metal is worked from the back to give a higher relief. Strictly chasing refers to line decoration applied to the face of repoussé work with a tracer but the term is frequently used more generally to describe any hammered or punched decoration on metal.
No prior experience is needed. Students with prior experience or who have already taken a class can email project ideas to the instructor for pre-approval. Each Class will cover different topics so be sure to check the class listing prior to checking out.
Sampler Schedule: (Each class will focus on the topic listed. Click the "Details" tab for a list of project descriptions)
- Next Session TBD
- 3.5 hour class period: 6:30pm-10:00pm
- Enrollment: 3 to 8 students
- Experience required: None
- Vending machines available
- Copper Bracelet: Create beautiful, unique body-bling in this beginner level class. In this session you will design and craft a cuff bracelet using copper. Students will be introduced to various ways of texturing the copper sheet. Students should leave with at least one bracelet. (Open to all levels)
- Copper Picture Frame: Working with copper sheet, each participant will make a hammered copper picture frame with chased accents. Various sized letter stamps will be available to add dates and messages. (Open to all levels)
- Copper Napkin Rings: Come learn to make beautiful and unique napkin rings out of copper in this beginner level class. Students will be introduced to various ways of manipulating and decorating copper sheet to create pieces they can show off to guests. Students should leave with at least 2 napkin rings. (Open to all levels)
(Above are examples of various topics offered, however each class focuses on only one. Each available class date will specify the corresponding project.)
NOTE: Metal & Coppersmithing Classes are interactive and involve some physical activity. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. If you any have concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all of our students!
PLEASE READ: Student Health / Refund Policy / Age / Dress Code
NOTE: Our programs are designed to be as inclusive as possible. However, if you have any concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all our students.
Students must be AT LEAST 16-years of age to attend class unless otherwise noted (ie: Fusing Tike, Teen and Creative Kids Classes) OR approval from Department Director.
Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes, shorts, skirts, or highly flammable clothing.