Blacksmithing 2-Night Workshop
NOTE: Students under the age of 16 MUST contact Arc + Flame Blacksmithing Director (Candace Martens) for an evaluation prior to enrolling in a smithing class. Candace can be reached at email@example.com or 585-617-9644. Interested Students MUST COMPLETE this underage student APPLICATION prior to meeting with Blacksmithing Director.
If you have a question about the facility or registering for a class, please call Arc + Flame directly at 585-349-7110.
- Tapers: Learn the fundamentals of hammer control and drawing out stock. Tapering is simply a gradual reduction in cross section toward a set point in the material. It is the primary skill of a blacksmith and a bladesmith. Since blades are composed of complex tapers this class is a prerequisite for anyone interested in taking knife classes at the Rochester Arc + Flame Center. (Open to all levels. If you already have forging experience and would like to attend a bladesmithing class, contact the Blacksmithing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss dismissal of this requirement.)
(Above are examples of various topics offered, however each class focuses on only one. Each available class date will specify the corresponding project.)
Arc + Flame Blacksmithing Workshops are an excellent way to learn and explore blacksmithing. Our experienced instructors will use a combination of lecture, demonstration and hands-on instruction at the forge to enhance your learning experience.
Skill Builder Workshops focus on the fundamental techniques in blacksmithing. These could include tapering, bending & straightening, upsetting, twisting, punching, cutting, joinery and hammer control. Student practice samples will vary each class but students will be able to take all of them home. Returning students can email project ideas to the instructor for pre-approval.
NOTE: Blacksmithing Classes are very interactive and involve significant physical activity. Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes or highly flammable clothing. If you any have concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all of our students!
If you have any questions, please contact our Smithing Director, Candace Martens, at email@example.com.
- 2 - 3.5-hour class periods: 6:30pm-10:00pm
- Enrollment: 3 to 10 students
- All materials and safety equipment included
- Complimentary coffee available and vending machines
- Next Session TBD
PLEASE READ: Student Health / Refund Policy / Age / Dress Code
NOTE: Our programs are designed to be as inclusive as possible. However, if you have any concerns with your vision, hearing, hand dexterity or mental health please contact Arc + Flame Center at 585-349-7110 before signing up for this class. We want to ensure the best possible class experience for all our students.
Students must be AT LEAST 16-years of age to attend class unless otherwise noted (ie: Fusing Tike, Teen and Creative Kids Classes) OR approval from Department Director.
Please make sure to wear close-toed sneakers or boots, jeans and a cotton t-shirt. Do NOT wear flip-flops, open toed shoes, shorts, skirts, or highly flammable clothing.